April 22, 2015: Marrakech

On our second full day of exploring Marrakech, we started the day with in a horse-drawn carriage to see the city.  It was fun!
Our first stop was Menara, which I had visited in 2010 and is the landmark after which the restaurant in San Jose (at which I've been belly dancing since 2007) is named.
 On the way back to the horse carriage, we saw a baby camel!  So cute.
We ended our carriage ride at the Majorelle Gardens, which is a visually stunning garden in the middle of the city that was created by artist Jacques Majorelle and later purchased by famed designer Yves Saint Laurent.  Since my last trip in 2010, they've opened a new Berber museum is that totally worth visiting.  My favorite exhibit was the Berber jewelry room, which featured fierce and fantastic sets of headpieces, earpieces, pectorals and bracelets.  The room itself was amazing:  illuminated by only strategically placed pinpoints of light that reflected off the faceted mirrors from floor to ceiling, I felt like I was standing in an infinite galaxy of stars.  I wish I had been allowed to take pictures!
Lunch was on our own, and we went to La Table du Marche because it was highly recommended by other tour members who had had a great dinner there the night before.  Mohamed ordered the fried calamari and steak with foie gras on top.  Fabulous!  My seafood pasta was no shrinking violet, either.  Noodles and tomato sauce have been sounding really good to me throughout this pregnancy!  Mohamed's post-lunch coffee was nice, too, with an unexpected side of cumin cookies.
That afternoon, we had some time to ourselves to relax before we visited an imam to discuss the Muslim faith.  We then headed to dinner at the famed Dar Moha restaurant.  It was so beautifully decorated that I was already enchanted before the food arrived.
As we returned to the Sofitel for our final night in Marrakech, I was sad to think about our departure but excited about our next trip back!