Bright and early, Mohamed and I headed back to the Casablanca airport to meet up with the tour group so that we could take our bus to Rabat. I was relieved to find our friendly tour director, Fattieh, right away because otherwise we'd have to figure out our own transportation to Rabat. Whew!
Our very first destination was the hotel, La Tour Hassan. It was beautiful -- some say second only to the king's residence in Rabat. We were greeted with carefully crafted Moroccan cookies, and I instantly regretted eating such a big breakfast because I wanted to try them all. I selected one of the dumpling-like cookies, which were filled with a fragrant almond paste that was at once delicate and intense.
We headed to lunch after resting briefly in our room, and the dining room featured large windows and intricate mouldings on the walls and ceilings. Of course Mohamed headed straight for the couscous and tagine (our kitchen features enough tagines to rival a small store), which were colorfully presented. I didn't hesitate to take a little of everything. I was surprised by how flavorful the butter crust of the fruit cream cup was -- far from being just a shell that functioned merely to hold its innards together, it was perfectly seasoned and formed.
Our very first destination was the hotel, La Tour Hassan. It was beautiful -- some say second only to the king's residence in Rabat. We were greeted with carefully crafted Moroccan cookies, and I instantly regretted eating such a big breakfast because I wanted to try them all. I selected one of the dumpling-like cookies, which were filled with a fragrant almond paste that was at once delicate and intense.
I was happy to hear that we had the afternoon to explore the hotel grounds and relax. After taking in the beautiful details, I proceeded to take a two-hour nap. Food coma + jetlag = major sleepiness!
For dinner, we headed to Dinarjat, a famous restaurant in Rabat's Old Town. I eyed each dish carefully before eating, especially because I wanted to request replication of any particularly amazing dishes from my private chef once we got home, ha! The creamy/crunchy dessert, which I had never before encountered, was accompanied by live music. Lovely!